In the movie “Hitch” Will Smith plays Alex “Hitch” Hitchens, the Date Doctor, whose mission is to show awkward, unpopular guys how to get the girl of their dreams.
SEO guru Ross Barefoot likens search engine optimization (SEO) to the Date Doctor as follows:
· The awkward, unpopular guy is your website
· The girl of our dreams is Google
· The Date Doctor is SEO (search engine optimization)
Ross describes three steps whereby the Date Doctor can help the awkward guy get the girl, or how SEO can help your website get the attention and high ranking of Google.
1. Step 1 – Tolerability. The guy has to be made tolerable. Similarly your website has to be made tolerable or “search engine friendly”to Google,
2. Step 2 – Likeability. Next, the tolerable guy has to be made likeable. Your tolerable or search engine friendly website needs to be made likeable by containing valuable, attractive content by which you’ll get the attention of Google and website visitors.
3. Step 3 – High Desirability. Finally the likeable guy has to become highly desirable – the life of the party. Your “likeable” website has to become so popular that other people want to link to it (called “enhanced inbound link popularity”).
Here’s the video where Ross explains the Date Doctor and SEO:
Roy Nakamura is the founder and CEO of Horizon Web Marketing. Before becoming an Entrepreneur, Roy spent 25 years in Silicon Valley corporate finance, holding the position of CFO with multi-national corporations. He is a graduate of the University of Chicago Booth School of Business with an MBA in finance and also has passed the CPA exam. Additionally, Roy holds a BS in engineering and a Masters degree in journalism, and has board-level experience with United Way and Financial Executives International. In 2008 Roy was named “Business Person of the Year” by the Las Vegas Asian Chamber of Commerce.